Our Lady of the Rosary
In 1555, Antonio de Santana, a Spanish colonist, commissioned a painting of Our Lady of the Rosary to decorate his private chapel. Later, his heirs transformed that chapel into a barn, and the image was seriously damaged.
Painted by Alonso de Narvaez, the image represented the Virgin Mary, standing with her feet on a half-moon, holding a rosary and the child Jesus with a scepter in his hand.
Maria Ramos attempted to restore it, but without success. On December 26, 1586, an Indian child passing by the chapel saw a light suddenly “appear from within.” His mother came running in and saw a “light coming out of the painting of the Virgin.”
The Archbishop of Bogota opened an investigation, and then authorized the construction of a chapel on the premises.
Our Lady of Chiquinquira has been proclaimed patron saint of Colombia.